When my typical method for transferring an image kept failing I ended up using an iron on transfer method to get a few photocopied images on my block. Not my preferred method and certainly not the cheapest or most low tech but it works. Rather than run around town trying different photocopiers until I maybe found one that worked I just bought a 5 pack of iron on transfer paper and was done with it. Now my drawing is all touched up and the whole block is sealed and ready to carve. I only fell one day behind my plan. Easy enough to catch up. Woo hoo!
Most of the time I draw directly on a block using a sketch of some sort to guide me. Sometimes I draw completely free on the block or even just carve and make marks without any guide at all. But sometimes I transfer a photocopied image from a book onto my block. It's kind of a pain in the butt but the results are worth it. I'm trying to do that in places with my latest block but the photocopies I made at the library just aren't transferring. Using fresh photocopies and using oil of Wintergreen has always worked but leaves my block so stinky that I don't want to be near it for a week or two. Now that the toner on the library photocopier must have changed I am going to seek out some less stinky transfer methods rather than hunt down a photocopier that uses carbon toner. The wax paper transfer method is the most appealing right now because I can use my own inkjet printer. But I could also damage my own inkjet printer which is less appealing. A trip to Staples for some transfer paper may be on the schedule today. I need to get this drawing finished so I can start carving. I need to start carving soon! I am feeling rather impatient at the moment.